Wednesday 14 May 2014

Nautical Nightstands

This pair of nightstands has got to be one of the ugliest "Before" items I have worked on. The tops were covered in Peel-and-Stick floor tiles and they had been painted in a hideous shade of pinky tan that reminded me of skin.

I couldn't contain my imatience and ripped off the floor tiles before I got a photo, but here they are after washing and sanding, ready for primer.





I knew they had potential - I liked the style of them and they were in excellent condition, aside from needing a going-over with a palm sander and some elbow grease.





I painted them a creamy white, and after it cured a few days I got to work with my favorite painter's tool - Frogtape! I taped off some stripes on the top, pulled out two of my favorite shades of blue paint and got to work.

The results were better than I was hoping for! I added some blue on the raised drawer fronts; I wanted these to be fun and I loved the little bit of added color. I'm a neutral girl at heart, so keeping these mostly white with just some details in blue made it fun while still feeling like my style. 








I thought they had a bit of a nautical feel, so I chose hardware that had a little braided detail that reminded me of rope.






I finished them off with two coats of clear wax. They looked so cute together in the shop, and they sold very quickly! It's always exciting to me when someone takes home one of my pieces. It never gets old; that feeling of gratification when someone else sees your vision for a piece and loves it enough to take it home! 



2 comments:

  1. What a huge difference from before. Love the color choice for the stripes. Nice job. Stopped over from Miss Mustard a Seed Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS